🔕 🔔

Soda Bread recipes anyone?

I made soda bread for the first time last year and it suprised me by being good. But I didn't make note of my recipe or source. So is there much variation between recipes and who has a good one? Also please let me know how far ahead I can bake this or if it has to be the day before or same day. How many to make for 30 people?

asked by nutcakes over 6 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

Here's my mother's recipe for Irish Brown Soda Bread. (It's savory rather than sweet.) http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Sorry, missed the second part of your question. This bread should be eaten within 24 hours, and for 30 people I'd make 3 loaves.

C4b35b3e a030 4605 bcae f5a7ba4644f4  sausage2
fiveandspice

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

This is my favorite soda bread: http://simplyrecipes.com...
It doesn't have fennel in it, but if you like fennel you could simply add a Tbs. of seeds. This bread will keep about 2 days. But, if you're not eating it the day of, I'd recommend toasting it.
And I second Merrill about the 3 loaves for 30 people, and would even consider making 4.

fiveandspice

And by fennel, I mean caraway. Had a temporary brain fart about the appropriate seed for soda bread (though fennel is actually tasty in it too!).

Thanks! I'll try one or the other, maybe both for variety. Totally forgot to check the food52.com archives.

I love this Melissa Clark recipe that appeared in the Times a few years back: http://www.nytimes.com.... It's definitely on the sweeter end of the spectrum, but it is delicious and it keeps pretty well, so you could probably make it the day before.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

My first exposure to Irish Soda Bread used dill seed -- any feedback?

I've made Nigella Lawson's 'irish oaten loaves' (basically, mini soda breads) many many times recently. They're extremely easy & very very good, can accompany almost anything. Here's a link from a blog that features the recipe: http://vipantrywedonthaveablogblog...