angel food cake epic fail

Upon inverting my delicious angel food cake over a bottle to cool, it promptly fell out of the pan and collapsed in a sad heap on the counter. Any suggestions as to why it fell out or how to keep in the pan? I thoroughly scrubbed the pan for grease so that's not the problem. Also, I live at altitude so if you think that could be a factor, I'd love some advise. Thanks!

• Posted by: Niknud
  • March 31, 2014

sdebrango March 31, 2014

Oh so sorry to hear about the cake fail. It sounds like it could have been undercooked. I always invert to cool over a bottle or on the little feet that are on the pan. It's rare that an angel food cake would just fall out of the pan, it literally clings to the sides and it can be quite a chore getting it out of the pan. How long did you bake it? At what temp? Did you test for doneness?

Niknud
Niknud March 31, 2014

It might have been undercooked. I followed the Joy of Cooking (circa 1960
s version) and cooked it at 350 for about 45 minutes. I maybe should have cranked it up 10 degrees and gone for closer to an hour......

sdebrango March 31, 2014

Angel food cake is usually baked at a lower temp, I bake mine at 325 for about 50 minutes. I think your oven temp was too high, browning on the outside but not done on the inside, a skewer or cake tester inserted into the cake should come out clean.

Niknud
Niknud March 31, 2014

Thanks! Will reattempt following egg replenishment.....

sdebrango March 31, 2014

Best of luck let us know how it turns out. I've never had a failed cake using that temp and approximate cooking time.

Maedl March 31, 2014

For what it's worth, my mother's angel food cake pan was only used for angel food cake. No fat ever got close to the pan.