The exclusive Italian nonstick from Ballarini the pros swear by. Shop now »
🔕 🔔

Has anyone ever made beef stew with just water?

I am in a pinch! My husband has all kinds of dietary restrictions (very recent) and I wasn't thinking. I don't have time to make homemade and he can't have any of the pre made stuff. Help!

asked by KimmyV about 3 years ago
B53d8573 61aa 4069 8686 39b20eb8e9c3  image

Homemade broth I mean

Go ahead and use the water, but try to add ingredients that will boost the flavor--onions, garlic, herbs, and mushrooms should help. If you can use wine in place of the water that would be very good.

E073e9c3 6386 4b81 9e7e cde0b05dae9c  546

Absolutely! Just brown up your beef bits with whatever veggies you have (onions and carrots being the obvious choices), then add the desired amount of water along with whatever flavoring components you would have added to your broth. I like garlic, thyme, and a little squeeze of tomato paste if you have it. It makes the stew rich like it would be with homemade broth. Hope this helps! Dietary restrictions can be a bummer, but you can still make it delicious for him.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

Nico's advice is excellent.Some red wine vinegar will help tenderize the meat, like wine does. Also, some stores sell unsalted stock if you can use that.

4e44c326 7cc2 42c2 8c1f e55e60b8bb30  image

The best way is to coat seasoned beef with flour lightly and brown till golden brown on all sides then cover with enough water to cover beef .Simmer at least 2-3 hrs then check for tenderness .I also like to add a red wine but it is not necessary .