Has anyone ever made beef stew with just water?

I am in a pinch! My husband has all kinds of dietary restrictions (very recent) and I wasn't thinking. I don't have time to make homemade and he can't have any of the pre made stuff. Help!

• Posted by: KimmyV
  • April 12, 2014

KimmyV
KimmyV April 12, 2014

Homemade broth I mean

Maedl April 12, 2014

Go ahead and use the water, but try to add ingredients that will boost the flavor--onions, garlic, herbs, and mushrooms should help. If you can use wine in place of the water that would be very good.

Nico Scheidemantel
Nico Scheidemantel April 12, 2014

Absolutely! Just brown up your beef bits with whatever veggies you have (onions and carrots being the obvious choices), then add the desired amount of water along with whatever flavoring components you would have added to your broth. I like garlic, thyme, and a little squeeze of tomato paste if you have it. It makes the stew rich like it would be with homemade broth. Hope this helps! Dietary restrictions can be a bummer, but you can still make it delicious for him.

LE BEC FIN
LE BEC FIN April 13, 2014

Nico's advice is excellent.Some red wine vinegar will help tenderize the meat, like wine does. Also, some stores sell unsalted stock if you can use that.

Picholine
Picholine April 13, 2014

The best way is to coat seasoned beef with flour lightly and brown till golden brown on all sides then cover with enough water to cover beef .Simmer at least 2-3 hrs then check for tenderness .I also like to add a red wine but it is not necessary .