🔕 🔔

I'm cooking a leg of lamb on a very good quality coal drum BBQ, low and slow. I'd like ideas for marinades, and any do's and don'ts.

I'm experienced with BBQ and cooking meats, but I've never done a leg of lamb on the BBQ before.

asked by Mario De-Cristofano over 3 years ago

Dc6dab61 0a80 4308 b0cf d5d06d9d7ac1  kroka kitchen

For marinade, I like lemon zest, garlic, and thyme. Be sure to let the meat come to room temp before cooking. Are you cooking with bone in or not? I've had good luck cooking lamb on the bone, but it's often taken longer than I expected, probably due to very low heat. But the meat was delicious.

Aussies love lamb and cook it anywhere. Even on a BBQ! One of my favourites is made with a mix of plain Greek yoghurt, honey, cumin, salt and pepper. Mix it up, spread it on and cook low and slow. Or a dry rub of salt, pepper and crushed rosemary leaves, is simple and hard to beat.

Fca4e46d 262a 416c 8ce5 316470249de2  565101 1406091363 1702312332 n

My favorite lamb lately involves a marinade of soy, sherry, garlic and oil, then a dry sprinkle of toasted cumin seed, szechuan peppercorns and salt. I've done a whole lamb leg, or have cut it into strips and both yield flavorful, tender lamb. We cook over indirect heat for a couple hours, then sear it over direct heat at the end. And you might want to use a drip pan.