Recipe calls for cooked chicken, can I use raw chicken?

I'm cooking a bean chili, and the recipe says that after the beans have cooked for an hour, to put in cooked chicken, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes. Will that be enough time for raw chicken to cook?

• Posted by: E. Lang
  • April 22, 2014

kimhw
kimhw April 22, 2014

Can you just poach and screws the chicken while the beans are cooking? That would be the best idea.

Meaghan F
Meaghan F April 22, 2014

I agree, cook the chicken pretty much any method at all (hard to give specifics without knowing the cut) before you add it... Safety issues aside, I think the chicken's texture would suffer if added raw, unless sliced really reeeeeally thinly and added "shabu shabu" style at the very end. (Which would make it a pretty unique chili I suppose lol!!)

bigpan
bigpan April 22, 2014

If you are OK with raw chicken contaminating the beans, go for it. As noted above, it only takes a few minutes to flash fry deboned chicken pieces which will add the flavor the recipe author is basing the recipe on.