🔕 🔔

Recipe calls for cooked chicken, can I use raw chicken?

I'm cooking a bean chili, and the recipe says that after the beans have cooked for an hour, to put in cooked chicken, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes. Will that be enough time for raw chicken to cook?

asked by E. Lang about 3 years ago

Can you just poach and screws the chicken while the beans are cooking? That would be the best idea.

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

I agree, cook the chicken pretty much any method at all (hard to give specifics without knowing the cut) before you add it... Safety issues aside, I think the chicken's texture would suffer if added raw, unless sliced really reeeeeally thinly and added "shabu shabu" style at the very end. (Which would make it a pretty unique chili I suppose lol!!)

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

If you are OK with raw chicken contaminating the beans, go for it. As noted above, it only takes a few minutes to flash fry deboned chicken pieces which will add the flavor the recipe author is basing the recipe on.