Matt Wheelock

You have to submerge it in liquid. It is better if it has the bone in it and have it on a low heat and ever 30 minutes or so I would take a spoon and spoon some of the liquid on top.

kimhw

Be sure to brown your meat well. Make sure you have enough broth and I always make sure to flip a few times during cooking.

Scottielew

Thank you!!!

DO NOT fully submerge the meat! Your braising liquid should come up about half way through the portion. Take your time and allow it to simmer, not boil.

Matt Wheelock

I always put enough liquid until it reaches the top of the meat, but I guess either way works.

Also make sure the pan is tightly covered - I cover partway too, and baste and/or flip. Low and slow is key - if you can give your braise at least 3 hours on 300 you should be meltingly tender. Also key is fat, lean meat is not going to be that lip smacking succulent dish that you are looking for.

Scottielew

Thank you everyone!!! Awesome tips!!!

Michael Ruhlman
Michael Ruhlman

Michael is a food critic and established cookbook author -- Ruhlman's Twenty and Egg: A Culinary Exploration are the most recent additions to his vast body of work.

I usually cover my short ribs in braising liquid. Important to let them cool submerged if not serving immediately. Be sure to serve with plentiful sauce as that's where most of the flavor and moisture is in a traditional braise.

Bea
Bea

Add a can of coke or Dr pepper to really give it the tenderness and less braising time. Just brown good add the cola to your pan.