Is there a way to search the site by ingredients?

I saw a spinach pie recipe that I want to try but now can't find it since the recipe has neither spinach nor pie in the title.

asked by Tarra over 4 years ago

plainhomecook

This bugs me too, Tarra. Was it a spanakopita, by any chance?

Tarra

No, it started with a "B" and there was no phyllo involved - and the reviewer thought it might also make an excellent calzone filling.

former Community Editor

Hi Tarra - I think this might be the recipe you were thinking of: http://food52.com/recipes...

Wondering if LJ used another method for finding the recipe . . . . you can give us a fish, and we'll eat tonight, or you can teach us how to fish, and we'll eat for the rest of our lives. ;o)

former Community Editor

Hey AJ - I was looking at the recipe recently, so I was pretty sure I knew which one she was thinking of, and I remembered that the recipe has spanakopita in the title, so that's what I searched for under recipes, it's the first result.

Tarra

YES! I even tried looking up spanakopita, but I was spelling it wrong. Thank you. I have the spinach at home, ready to go.

Good trick, AJ! For people who use eatyourbooks.com (you pay for it, but I love it), I searched for "spinach," limiting my search to my websites and asking for the results to be sourced alphabetically. I went to the "B"s and found the recipe right away.

Thank you, Greenstuff. Most people don't realize that for sites that don't have their own robust search functionality (or have not incorporated Google's within their site), the best tool available is a Google search whose terms are simply the site's URL immediately followed by a colon and then the search terms. The maddening lack of search functionality within the recipe database on Food52 would have driven me away years ago, for good, had this workaround not been available. ;o)

Tarra

Both great tips. Thanks so much for these.

Karl Rosaen

Hey all, I know we're not google when it comes to search - but it helps to hear these examples - we actually have an enhancement ready to launch soon that should improve this specific example (e.g searching for 'spinach pie' will find http://food52.com/recipes...) - will let you know once it's live!

Karl Rosaen

The search improvements are live, that Batsaria recipe will be easier to find next time someone searches for spinach pie! http://food52.com/recipes...

healthierkitchen

that's great news Karl. Will we also be able to search by ingredients that are not in the title of a recipe?

HK, I just did a quick test search, the only term being "spinach," and yes, it seems that ingredients listed but not included in the title now are included in the search results. Interestingly, the search also yielded a kale recipe, in which spinach is not even listed as an alternate ingredient. Hallelujah! Many thanks to Karl and the engineering team! ;o)

I just tried "veal onion pepper" and got no recipes on the site. The same search on eatyourbooks gave me several Food52 recipes, and the google search "food52: veal onion pepper" gave me a different Food52 recipe and a bunch from Yummly.