🔕 🔔

Substitute chard for spinach?

I want to make Spinach Cakes with Shiitake Mushrooms and Goat Cheese from Annie Somerville's Field of Greens. Even though spinach is the first word in the title, I'm thinking of using the chard that's growing in my garden right now. Any thoughts on whether or not this is advisable? Thanks.

asked by jocelyng about 1 month ago

7124ef9e 8cee 4d7c 8ab8 fa611e8ce383  jocelyn 2006
added about 1 month ago

(Also thinking of subbing ricotta that's in my fridge for the goat cheese...)

added about 1 month ago

Sounds like a great idea! I haven't made the recipe, but there is no reason it shouldn't work. Just make sure you remove the stems, up the thinnest rib near the tip of each leaf. (Save them to blanch and then quick pickle, cutting the broad bottom portion into squares, to toss in salads.) I might also blanch the leaves themselves if they are substantially heavier than spinach leaves. ;o)

added about 1 month ago

Thanks! And ricotta for the goat cheese?

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

added about 1 month ago

I would strain the ricotta over a bowl to remove excess moisture, otherwise it may be to wet when trying to form the cakes.

added about 1 month ago

Thanks!

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH
added about 1 month ago

I substitute and exchange chard for spinach frequently. We have lots of chard in our garden so I use it instead of buying spinach. When we get to the end of the season I sautee it and freeze it. Then, I use it like you would use frozen spinach. I do the same with kale.