Substitute chard for spinach?

I want to make Spinach Cakes with Shiitake Mushrooms and Goat Cheese from Annie Somerville's Field of Greens. Even though spinach is the first word in the title, I'm thinking of using the chard that's growing in my garden right now. Any thoughts on whether or not this is advisable? Thanks.

Jocelyn Grayson
Jocelyn Grayson October 13, 2017

(Also thinking of subbing ricotta that's in my fridge for the goat cheese...)

AntoniaJames October 13, 2017

Sounds like a great idea! I haven't made the recipe, but there is no reason it shouldn't work. Just make sure you remove the stems, up the thinnest rib near the tip of each leaf. (Save them to blanch and then quick pickle, cutting the broad bottom portion into squares, to toss in salads.) I might also blanch the leaves themselves if they are substantially heavier than spinach leaves. ;o)

Jocelyn Grayson
Jocelyn Grayson October 13, 2017

Thanks! And ricotta for the goat cheese?

sexyLAMBCHOPx October 13, 2017

I would strain the ricotta over a bowl to remove excess moisture, otherwise it may be to wet when trying to form the cakes.

Jocelyn Grayson
Jocelyn Grayson October 13, 2017

Thanks!

MMH
MMH October 14, 2017

I substitute and exchange chard for spinach frequently. We have lots of chard in our garden so I use it instead of buying spinach. When we get to the end of the season I sautee it and freeze it. Then, I use it like you would use frozen spinach. I do the same with kale.