🔕 🔔

I've been experimenting with kebab seasoning lately, and I'm stuck on trying to amp up the flavor.

Any ideas as far as spice inspiration? So far my mix includes coriander/cumin/cayenne/paprika/oregano/cinnamon/black pepper/garlic powder. However, it's still missing prominent backbone flavor. I want to amp the flavor, but I'm not sure what else to add in there.

asked by James Durazzo over 3 years ago

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

It's not exactly a spice, but you could try incorporating lime at some point to get some acid... I love spicy foods and find that an acid often serves to clarify and emphasize the individual flavors of a rub or marinade. I wish I could find a link, but a while a back I saw a recipe somewhere that called for doing multiple half-portion skewers that were each rubbed with one of three spices (I remember cumin and oregano but not the third one). The idea was that the flavors still get a chance to mingle when eaten together, but each element has a chance to shine on its own. I never tried it but it stuck with me.

Dcca139f 78d5 41a3 b57b 6d6c96424a1c  img 7818

A few thoughts, after my own recent experiments with spice mixes: are you adding enough salt? I sometimes add salt directly to my spice mix, but other times salt the meat first (so I can get the right amount), then apply the spice mix on top. When I don't use enough, the overall flavor is lacking so maybe that's the culprit? And then of course the freshness of your spices will make a huge difference, especially the ones you're using in largest quantity. For cumin and coriander, I'd recommend freshly grinding it since the pre-ground stuff loses its flavor so quickly.

30d29d6e ad6b 43d4 877f 543611313cd6  img 7763

I've tested this recipe using ground pork shoulder with some additional fat added to the mixture, then I used Activa RM to bind the mixture in order to form a cylindrical sausage shape. After slow poaching to firm up, I then gave it a quick pan sear to obtain some color. However, the end product still ends up a bit dry.