🔕 🔔

Try simmering with a parmigiano reggiano rind or add some grated to the sauce.

5f8d7fee 22ef 49ba a6b4 360299864c3e  n3ru8figt0zk0

This is not my recipe, but the absence of meat turns it into something other than Bolognese. The classic Bolognese sauce includes a mixture of meats including chicken livers.

5931bcf1 b22d 41db bdb0 e856dde60d58  image

The flavor of pancetta and/or bacon adds to a dish what I think is called "umami," which to me means depth of flavor. I find that a good substitute is anchovies and/or herring paste, that is of course assuming that as a vegetarian you eat fish. Try a couple of anchovies in the recipe.

191e8978 8695 42e0 9a7a 5d1a1064b95f  photo 4

Smoked paprika is a good substitute for the smokiness of bacon. It's really tasty but can be strong, so be sure to add it to taste.

I agree with using anchovies to sub for pancetta and/or bacon, but if you don't eat fish, try smoked pressed tofu -- I think Tofu Lin is the best.

Thanks so much - I was unaware of this tofu product and will certainly try it.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Although the recipe uses porcini mushrooms, substituting cubed Portobello mushrooms may work nicely.

Cf72275c fff5 4c3d 91ff b486112ca91a  stringio
Nancy Harmon Jenkins

Nancy is a food writer, historian, and author of many books, her most recent being Virgin Territory: Exploring the World of Olive Oil, forthcoming from Houghton Mifflin.

When I write Italian recipes for vegetarians, I often just up the content of olive oil by a couple of tablespoons to take the place of missing pancetta, prosciutto, or other meat. But in this case, the recipe already calls for 4 tablespoons which I think is plenty. If you're truly a vegetarian, you won't be looking for a "meaty" flavor in any case, and if the result doesn't satisfy, you can always dribble a little more well-flavored olive oil on top -- and I'd use a Tuscan oil in this particular case.