🔕 🔔

Cf72275c fff5 4c3d 91ff b486112ca91a  stringio
Nancy Harmon Jenkins

Nancy is a food writer, historian, and author of many books, her most recent being Virgin Territory: Exploring the World of Olive Oil, forthcoming from Houghton Mifflin.

Liesl, it's tricky to answer this since I don't know what kind of farro you have. I am going to assume it is "pearled" farro which is what is mostly available in the U.S. If so, there is no need to soak it. And of course, cooking directions are "cook till it's done"--test it periodically. You want it to be chewable but not too soft and soggy, the same texture as good rice. I would start testing after 15 minutes of simmering in water or stock.

Hi Nancy,
I think you went to Wellesley College with my mother, Elise Feldmann! If so, hello and it's nice to have you anwer. I was actually asking about whole farro- I have some from Forgmaggio Kitchen- and it is labeled as "whole" with no cooking directions. I know that semi perlato and perlato take a smaller amount of time, but there seems to be conflicting answers about whole farro. Thanks for answering and let me know if I am right about you and my mother!
Thanks,
Liesl

Nancy Harmon Jenkins

Hi, Liesl! And yes, indeed, I did go to Wellesley with Elise. How and where is she? Give her my best and if she's in Cambridge, let me know. I'd love to link up with her. As for thefarro, I think you should just try a small bit, boil it for 15 minutes or so, and see what happens. Nice to hear from you--are we turning Food52 into Facebook?

Hi Nancy,
I will let my mom know that you and I connected and have her connect with you. Don't want to turn this into facebook! Thanks again for the answer!!
Warmly,
Liesl