how long can opened coconut oil be kept before it gets rancid ?

how long can opened cocnut oil be kept before it gets rancid ? Does it even ?

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese May 18, 2014

It depends a lot on how the coconut oil was processed and stored. I've had some last for almost five years before going off, others less than five months. When in doubt, trust your nose and avoid keeping it where it has extreme fluctuations in temperature.

emcsull
emcsull May 19, 2014

should it be refrigerated once opened ?

SKK May 19, 2014

Coconut oil does not need to be refrigerated once it is open.

emcsull
emcsull May 19, 2014

Thank you all for your help !

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese May 19, 2014

I agree...although sometimes it will help extend shelf life if you live somewhere very warm. Like regularly above 30C, 85F.

emcsull
emcsull May 19, 2014

interesting, that means it should be kept slightly warm rather than cool. Trying very hard to wrap my head around this before opening the jar.

trampledbygeese
trampledbygeese May 19, 2014

It's like most vegetable oils, so can easily be kept at room temperature. 'Though, like other vegi oils, it hates sudden fluctuations or extreme temperatures. Think olive oil. Olive oil will go semi-solid in the fridge. Coconut oil is from a warmer clime, so it goes solid at a higher temperature, so at room temperature (say 70F) it will be at a semi solid state. But it has a higher smoking point than olive oil - basically, it's good if you want to cook at a higher temp like frying.

Also a lot of people like to use it as a hair and skin treatment.

janelle kujath
janelle kujath November 29, 2017

There are two ways of detecting whether the stored coconut oil is stale or fresh enough to be used. To know more check out here: https://goo.gl/vPjodr