🔕 🔔

I was gifted a quart of extra virgin coconut oil. What are some good uses of this product?

Any ideas for this, it has a very pronounced coconut flavor/smell. It's pretty much solid at room temp. How long will this last after opening?

asked almost 3 years ago

I use it to saute most everything. I love the stuff. What brand is it? Some people don't like what I think is a very mild coconut flavor. Those people are happier with refined coconut oil.

I also take a half cup or so and put it in a container to use as lotion and hair conditioner.

You can add a spoonful of CO and a spoonful of ghee or butter and blend it in a blender with hot coffee (be careful) for what is known as bullet proof coffee. It's delicious.

Taste it from a spoon and see what you think of the flavor.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

It's Swanson brand. It's also the 'extra virgin' type. So it has a bit more coconut flavor than the normal coconut oil.

Saute up some shrimp and see what you think. Maybe make some baked sweet potato fries using your CO. I always use virgin unrefined. You'll find when you cook with it that the taste is very mild.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Is it time to re-surface your woodcutting board ?

ktr

I agree, it is great to saute with. It is also great just spread on toast like you would butter. You can blend it with honey for a "honey butter." It's good melted over popcorn. Basically you can use it similar to butter. It is difficult to make pie crust with though in my experience - although it may work if your kitchen is warm enough to keep the coconut oil soft.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I use coconut oil to make brownies (when I am not using butter). I follow the recipe from the Flour cookbook, using Scharffen-Berger chocolate. Heavenly. I think they come out more tender than with butter.