🔕 🔔

Help! I'm making Mrs Larkin's Christmas Pumpkin bread, and the only wet ingredients are 1/3 cup oil and 1 cup pumpkin puree, for 1 2/3 cup flour, plus 1 1/3 cup sugar. My mixture has come out very dry and crumbly. Has anyone else made this - is there something I've missed? Should I add extra oil or water or eggs? Thank you!

asked by aussiefoodie almost 7 years ago

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Hi aussiefoodie! The batter should not be crumbly. It is a very thick batter. Keep stirring!!! It seems dry initially, but it will come together. Hope that helps. DON'T add more oil. good luck!!

7d6f1c7c 61b9 4b07 86e4 dbd4b1caeb8d  coopers

I think the problem I had is my pumpkin puree was too dry - I had a 1/2 cup of pumpkin butter, and 1/2 cup of steamed butternut squash. I ended up adding 1/2 cup of water to get it come together (it was very thick). Its in the oven now - I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks Mrs Larkin!

Also, it's 10 ounces of pumpkin puree, which is a little more than a cup. Ah, well, sorry I didn't reach you earlier!

Well it worked out delicious! My loaf pan is slightly bigger than 9x5, so it took only just over an hour to bake and is a little flatter than your photo. Its warm, and soft in the middle, and crunchy on the outside, yum! Thanks Mrs Larkin!

Yay! And good call on adding the water!!!! I made the mistake once of adding more oil to a batch using all whole wheat flour (which absorbs water like crazy) and it was awful! Happy Christmas!