🔕 🔔

lemon juice

I just discovered my lemons are a mold covered mess in my fruit bowl and need lemon juice for a recipe. Any suggestions on a good sub? I do have limes on hand although I feel like that would not be a comparable substitute (I'm making an eggplant and yogurt dip). Thanks!

asked by Kristin Greene about 3 years ago

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

Rice wine vinegar, maybe? Whatever you try, though, I'd suggest making the dip and trying your substitutes with small portions of it at the end to avoid ruining the whole batch if it doesn't work out.

C9fe3f6c c3eb 473c 918e 88792bcc3a90  image

Go with the lines, but use a little less

I think the limes would work great. Maybe try a combo of less lime than the lemon and white wine or rice wine vinegar.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Perhaps adding a little sumac, if you have it, would give a hint of the lemony flavor you were looking for.

Having just been to my pantry and tasted my vinegars, I think white wine, or apple cider, vinegar would be fine.

Wholefoods user icon

Sumac is a great suggestion! If not available I would go with the red wine vinegar for sure.