🔕 🔔

Garlic scapes and ramps

8785ad52 f97f 4394 acc8 2a26386a29ad  34800 garlic scapes and ramps

Hi! I have what I think is garlic ramps but there is what looks like garlic scapes at the top. I cut the bottom part off so hopefully the photo isn't confusing. Can the tops be cooked like normal scapes? I have only ever used ramps with the bottom already cut. What about the leaves? Thank you!!!

asked by orangebird almost 4 years ago

I see no photo. Maybe because I am on my phone?

Photo or no photo :0), ramps are a wild onion. As far as I know, there is no garlic ramp. I would treat the tops of ramps like the tops of leeks. Great for stocks. Scapes are very different.

orangebird

hmm.. the tops are curly and have a flower- they really look just like garlic scapes. The whole bunch is about 28" long and there are smallish 1" white bulbs at the bottom with leaves that look like the top of a green onion. It smells like garlic. Maybe it's just under-ripe garlic with the scapes still attached? thanks for the help!

Sounds , like scapes to me. If they have wide leaves at the top, then they are probably ramps.

Ramps are long out of season. They grow in wooded areas in the East and Midwest--and are usually sold in farmers markets. I have never seen them in grocery stores.

PS Ramps are similar in size and appearance to lilies of the valley, which are very poisonous. You use the whole ramp--bulb and green part.