🔕 🔔

No luck with anything but frozen-solid frozen yogurt...

So I have tried some different ideas for frozen yogurt out of a home ice cream maker...used strained whole-milk (very fatty, local, organic, homemade--yay!) yogurt, added no extra cream or milk because that has liquid, added a berry juice-cornstarch-honey concoction, added some vodka, and roasted berries. Good the first night, totally rock solid after a day in freezer (and softened in a hot kitchen for 15 minutes, which would melt any regular frozen treat, like the homemade sorbet next to it). What else should I do to make frozen yogurt that is soft enough to scoop or at least yields to a hot spoon? I don't want to adulterate it so far as to make it essentially ice cream (custard base and all that). Should I forget it?

asked by Raquelita over 3 years ago

Are you adding sugar? You need a good amount of sugar in most ice cream/gelato/frozen yogurt bases to keep it from setting up too firm.
Also, I would strain the yogurt too rid it from excess liquid (just put it in a strainer lined with cheesecloth or a clean towel and leave it to drain for a few hours or up to overnight; you can save the whey for other uses).

0236a64a 6089 48f7 8ce6 5b790ad33fd9  0605111238

Yes, I strained the yogurt. But it seems like we all agree that sugar is the problem.

F3fdbabe d72e 44f9 919d eecf03b7e10e  liza skitchenlogo

Frozen yogurt is tough because with the lack of fat it freezes harder, like water. I've made this one before: http://www.101cookbooks... and it came out nice. Sort of like Pinkberry, as described, and it wasn't too hard after being in the freezer.

I was remembering this recipe, but didn't look back to see how much sugar she added. Perhaps sugar is the problem.

Also, some light corn syrup or cream cheese/mascarpone will also help.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

There's a nice article about frozen yogurt over on Serious Eats, http://www.seriouseats...

They'd agree with PazzoNico about adding more sugar.

Hi everyone. Circling back with a trusted source for the science and a ratio of (scant) 1 quart yogurt to 1 cup sugar for scoopable texture: http://www.seriouseats...

Thanks for your help, and I'll be trying again!