🔕 🔔

I forgot to brown sausage before I put together breakfast casserole. Can I still use it?

The breakfast casserole recipe I am using calls for eggs, browned sausage, toast, cheese, and pepper to be baked for 45 minutes at 350. I didn't brown the sausage and already have all the ingredients combined. I plan on putting this in the oven tomorrow morning. Can I still use the mixture or should I not since I didn't brown it first?

asked by Ken about 3 years ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Yes, the browning would have made it more flavorful, but it's not a safety issue.

If it is (pre)cooked, yes, you're fine; otherwise, there is a good chance that the sausage will not be in the oven long enough to fully cook. Ground meats need to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees in order to be safely considered cooked.

It definitely is a safety issue. It may need some extra minutes to reach the safety zone of 165. Just use an instaread thermometer. Hopefully you have one.

Boulangere and Susan are certainly right--the sausage has to be cooked through. What I meant to say (but said very poorly) was that browning is not necessary for the sausage to cook through.

C9fe3f6c c3eb 473c 918e 88792bcc3a90  image

You're fine.
Dublin Coddle is a favorite of mine, and un-browned sausage is a chief ingredient.
All it really is, is braised pork really ?

Take the casserole out first thing and let it come to room temp. Put the casserole in the oven right when you start to heat it. All the ingredients will bake together and you will be fine.

Ken

Thank you all for your responses. I feel much better and will make sure it is cooked all the way through.