🔕 🔔

When should I harvest squash blossoms? Must I wait for the squash to ripen?

asked by Josh wainwright about 3 years ago

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

My dad always told me to only pick the blossoms WITHOUT A SQUASH. And pick in the early morning when the blossoms are large and open.

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

It looks like this question double-posted, so I'm sharing sfmiller's answer here to keep responses all on the same thread:

"You can harvest squash blossoms as soon as the flowers start appearing. But if you want squash fruits as well as blossoms, you need to leave at least some female blossoms on the vine. Female blossoms have a fleshy ovary behind the flower, where it attaches to the vine; it becomes a squash if the flower is pollinated. Male blossoms attach directly to the vine and have a more hairy or downy appearance (and different reproductive parts inside the flower, if you look closely)."