🔕 🔔

When should I harvest squash blossoms? Must I wait for the squash to ripen?

asked by Josh wainwright almost 4 years ago

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

My dad always told me to only pick the blossoms WITHOUT A SQUASH. And pick in the early morning when the blossoms are large and open.

012d983c ea5a 4b9f a942 a8f5dfcef8d7  ljh6675 web

Lindsay-Jean is a Community Editor at Food52.

It looks like this question double-posted, so I'm sharing sfmiller's answer here to keep responses all on the same thread:

"You can harvest squash blossoms as soon as the flowers start appearing. But if you want squash fruits as well as blossoms, you need to leave at least some female blossoms on the vine. Female blossoms have a fleshy ovary behind the flower, where it attaches to the vine; it becomes a squash if the flower is pollinated. Male blossoms attach directly to the vine and have a more hairy or downy appearance (and different reproductive parts inside the flower, if you look closely)."