just harvested Jerusalem artichoke- it's waiting for me in the fridge. how do I cook it?

asked by stilltrying almost 8 years ago

thelocalcook

just like any other root vegetable. You can eat it raw or bake it as you would a potato.

Mr_Vittles

I would coat it with a small amount of olive oil, salt and pepper it, then roast it in a hot oven, say 400 deg F. That way you'll get all those yummy caramelized bits.

Harvested? Very cool - do you grow them from starts like a potato or an onion? where did you get the start or seed or whatever?

stilltrying

I ordered tubers thru a seed catalog. It's the root of perennial sunflower, native to north america. The native americans used it quite a bit.

stilltrying

I found recipes for it,but they all included potatoes. Just wondered if it is not great by itself in something like a gratin

healthierkitchen

Just bought some at the farmstand today - this Jaime Oliver recipe is one might try - though I might do some roasted with turnips.

http://www.jamieoliver...

Is fridge best place to store? I've never had them before.

stilltrying

for short term I think so - mine are doing ok. For long term moist sand is recommended, and a cold place. Roasted a few last nite - unusual flavor, I can see how they would be good paired with something else. Can't say I loved them on their own. But I am gonna pair them with sweet or reg potatoes, or other veg.

innoabrd

I think they're great roasted with a bit of olive oil.

However, not a dish I would do for company. Many people, myself included, get rather, um, pronounced, um, flatulence...

healthierkitchen

Came across this article from the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com...