Hosting a cookout this weekend with several vegetarian guests. Looking for ideas beyond grilled veggies and veggie burgers. Maybe some pizzas on the grill.
Are you channeling your best self with this comment? (If you're not sure, check out our Code of Conduct.)
Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.
We actually have a whole recipe round up for vegetarian barbecue ideas: https://food52.com/blog.... As a vegetarian myself, I'd love to come to a cookout and find grilled portobello mushrooms with chimichurri sauce, grilled corn, and grilled watermelon and peaches.
Thank you Sarah. I knew I had seen that, but I could not find it.
HalfPint is a trusted home cook.
-Grilled polenta squares (top with grilled vegetables, etc)
-Yaki Onigiri, http://www.justonecookbook.com/recipes/yaki-onigiri-grilled-rice-ball/
-Sriracha Grilled Tofu, http://www.bonappetit.com...
- Grilled marinated extra firm tofu slices. I usually make a marinade of equal parts miso, mirin or sake, vegetable oil and water plus a bit of sesame oil. It's also a great marinade for veggies.
- Grilled tempeh, slathered in BBQ sauce
- Grilled haloumi cheese
- Nasu dengaku (grilled eggplant with a miso glaze)
- I've been meaning to try paneer tikka on the BBQ: http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/paneer-tikka-recipe-paneer-tikka/
- Pineapple and watermelon are both great on the grill. Grilled watermelon can be used in a salad with feta and mint.
You could do grilled flatbread (either homemade or purchased) with an assortment of grilled vegetables and spreads. You could go a lot of different directions -- e.g., Italian (grilled eggplant, broccoli rabe, etc. with salsa verde) or Middle Eastern (grilled halloumi and assorted vegetables with muhammara). I personally find the grilled flatbread route easier to execute for a crowd than grilled pizza, which requires more last-minute prep. Here's a simple Italian flatbread if you're interested in making your own: https://food52.com/recipes...
Took the words out of my mouth. Flatbread or pizza on the grill is great. You can either buy premade dough, or grab some instant rise yeast packets from the store Tons of recipes and topping ideas out there.
We are moving house and I want to use up my flour and yeast, flatbread/pizza might be the big winner.
Pegeen is a trusted home cook.
Your Best Grilled Vegetable Contest
I think the key is to provide a satisfying and filling protein option. A huge pot of baked beans that you can make the day before and heat it up before serving would be great for vegetarians and vegans and very convenient for you?