🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Pistachio Cardamom Nutella

4523837d 85bd 40d1 83ea 6b54f8ad8dfe  pistachio cardamom nutella 1154 food52 mark weinberg

I have a question about the recipe "Pistachio Cardamom Nutella" from Madhuri Sharma. Mine turned out kind of dry and is a little difficult to spread, is there any way to improve this and any ideas on what I did wrong?

asked by pangaea99 over 3 years ago

Did you use a good quality white chocolate? I would pick a brand that actually has cocoa butter in the ingredients (the more the better). The fake stuff (like Nestle's White Morsels) doesn't have even a pinch of cocoa butter.

http://www.amazon.com/Bakers... I used the Baker's white chocolate baking bar- 3 of the 4 oz ones. It has cocoa butter as the second ingredient after sugar. I noticed that when I was melting it, it thickened up quite a bit and was dry. I didn't use the double boiler method though, i used a microwave, could that be why?

@Asma Arayan, you might have overheated and the chocolate seized. Try it with the double boiler method next time. Here's a good guide to heating chocolates of any kind, http://candy.about.com...

69ce752d 9751 4337 8492 f4ff6e03bdcb  untitled
Madhuri Sharma

Madhuri is a Recipe Tester for Food52

@Asma Arayan
Thank you for your question on this. Yes the quality of chocolate and the method of melting it as @HalfPint suggested might be the culprit here. It seems like your chocolate seized, which means it clumped up into more of a paste like consistency. One reason could be because you over-heated it, another could be if there was any trace of water in your bowl. White chocolate has a lower melting point than milk or dark since its mostly cocoa butter (aka fat), so you really have to be careful melting it.