🔕 🔔

Calling all canners!!

I am canning for the first time -- marinara sauce for gifts. I have the Ball book for technique. However it assumes tomato recipes are being made with fresh tomatoes and I used canned tomatoes (good quality organic ones, of course).

The canning instructions call for adding 1T of 5% acid liquid (like bottled lemon juice or vinegar), per pint jar. This seems excessive since the canned tomatoes already are more acidic than fresh. I plan to put some 6% balsamic in each jar.

How much would you use?

asked by Queen of Spoons almost 7 years ago

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Maybe this is a question for your Extension Service. Food safety is at issue here.

I agree with susan g. This isn't something for guesswork. There are ingredients besides tomatoes so there are questions of proper treatment of all of it. I wouldn't make it except from a recipe from a University Extension, so you get a safe batch.

Read this discussion on some of the issues.
http://forums.gardenweb...

Aa0aef2d aae3 438c a22e 1340af35ed29  face hat underpainting 1

Hmm. Looks like these are going into the freezer instead. Thanks for the link.

I've heard it said (and read many times), never, ever can something that's already been canned. Freezer is a great option. I freeze sauces made from canned tomatoes all the time and they taste great when defrosted, especially when allowed to simmer for awhile, then tarted up before serving with copious amounts of chopped fresh herbs. ;o)