🔕 🔔

Fresh tomato puree uses?

We received fresh tomato puree in our CSA box this week and I need to use it tonight. Ideas? It's much thinner than regular/canned tomato puree/sauce (more like broth), it has the seeds but no skins. I'm thinking I'll just use it the way I'd use regular canned puree? thoughts? Great ideas?

asked by MTMitchell over 5 years ago

397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

You can use it just like you use regular tomato puree -- in pasta sauces, in stews and braises. Also, you could season it with salt and use it as a topping for pizza. If you find it too thin, you can also simmer it to reduce it.

Eggs in Purgatory (basically, eggs poached or baked in a spicy tomato sauce) is a quick, simple way to showcase fresh tomato puree. I make it often when the garden's pumping out tomatoes in late summer/early fall.

Here's a recipe, but it's an easy dish to adapt to your tastes and what you've got on hand. I cook the eggs in a covered skillet, and like to add a couple chopped anchovies and capers to the sauce:

http://www.seriouseats...

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I would put some in a glass, add a splash or two of worchestershire and tobassco, a healthy dose of vodka - and call it a fresh bloody mary.

164ae6cf b233 45ae a461 8d7543fae705  melissa mitchell

Great! Thanks! My husband voted spaghetti. I'm adding the bloody Mary. It's been a long week.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

And if you need to, it should freeze perfectly.