🔕 🔔

I acquired a Costco-size tray of "fresh" tomatoes. I'm not a snob about many things, but I don't like grocery store tomatoes. What can I do with them?

asked by Anna K. 9 months ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Sauce.

Won't be as good as sauce from true vine ripened tomatoes, but it's a low effort project. If you don't want to deal with them immediately, freeze for later.

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH

Would also roast them but then make salsa or sauce.

4e44c326 7cc2 42c2 8c1f e55e60b8bb30  image

I agree with Marie, roast them!

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

If they have any flavor at all roasting will help a little, but anything you make from them is likely to be disappointing. You don't need to be a snob to despise supermarket tomatoes, particularly in winter- really, they're pretty useless. Thinly sliced they can add a hit of moisture to a sandwich, and they can be chopped to add (mostly) texture to mixed rice dishes and the like, or to bulk up stews- uses where there's plenty of flavor without them- but mostly they're best avoided.

0f6eeabd eaa6 4bb9 85c0 7c2339768d76  stringio

This is what I do, as well. You don't have to have a costco sized tray. When I have a few plums and/or cherry tomatoes, getting a little beyond what I'd use as fresh ,I toss them in the oven and roast them. It is a low effort project as cv says. Its nice to reach in the freezer for a small amount to add to your lunch soup or whatever.

Did you taste them? Costco carries Campari tomatoes which are surprisingly tasty, all year around. If it's those, then you can use them up any way you like.
I either roast tomatoes, or I freeze them whole and use them in pasta sauce. I drop a couple of frozen ones in with the boiling pasta for a couple of minutes and then the skin will peel right off when I fish them out. I use them in whatever quick sauce I am making as they thaw the rest of the way while cooking down.

Thanks for the feedback, y'all! Sorry to be slow to follow up. I roasted them and then included in a quinoa salad with roasted broccoli, capers, and garbanzo beans. It was seriously good! I have some more in the fridge to use another way. Thanks for the handy trick!

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

Next time, make this dish. It's extremely easy and tasty. https://food52.com/recipes...

Amy

Cut the stem end off and score the bottom. Freeze them (skin and all) in a single layer on a baking sheet til they are hard, like marbles (think IQF). I store mine in a Ziploc in the freezer and save them til winter when I can use them in soup. All you do is pull them out of the freezer, and while frozen, run them under warm/hot water for about 5 seconds. The skins slide right off and you can cut, chop or use whole as desired. Not as great as "out of the garden", but a wonderful addition to soups in the winter when your garden isn't producing.