A DARLING LIL' COOKER THAT MAKES THE FLUFFIEST RICE. SHOP NOW »
🔕 🔔

What is the principle behind not salting the cooking water for Asian noodles?

I know that salting the water is a no-no for soba, udon, Chinese wheat noodles, and the like, but I've been doing it anyway, and the finished results are almost always better, as is usually the case when I cook with Italian pastas. I'm curious if anyone knows what the rationale is behind this. I haven't been having much luck getting a good explanation, and have been poking around for a while.

asked by LukasVolger about 2 years ago

I wonder if it's because so many Asian ingredients are high in salt? Soy, fish sauce, miso etc. I am totally guessing. I googled and didn't get an explanation either.

B3b760a1 f3b5 4458 a086 6fdcd62c6cb4  lukas volger credit cara howe landscape

Thanks, Susan! That's one thing that I wondered as well.

Lukas, did you know there is an article on this site about soba noodles? Lindsay-Jean Hard wrote it, so hopefully she will see this and explain why no salt. I am now very curious. :0)

Cfe06c3a 31ba 4cd7 a0b0 2d1e7eb98d8e  18930218514 6fcf35ff43 b

Lindsay-Jean is a Contributing Writer & Editor at Food52.

Scientifically, I defer to Harold McGee, who has explained that salt in the cooking water not only flavors the pasta, but also limits starch gelation, which reduces stickiness. In the case of soba noodles, you're reducing the stickiness by rinsing/washing off the starch at the end of cooking.

Anecdotally, I've noticed that the soba noodles I buy are much higher in sodium (most of of which is removed after they're rinsed) than Italian-style pasta noodles, so I'm probably getting some of the stickiness-reducing benefits of salt too.

All that said, if you've been happy with the results of salting the water, stick with what works for you!

This is really helpful- thanks, Lindsay!

From this Asian person's experience, noodles (& rice) are a way of stretching ingredients that are otherwise very expensive or scarce. So we've developed recipes for dishes that are intensely flavored & very salty on their own. But when mixed or served with noodles or rice, the seasoning is perfect. With a little bit of the "dish" and a lot of starch, you can serve generously serve a lot of people. Ever notice how Chinese food is not very meat-heavy with a lot of salt and fat? With the seasoning in the 'entree', you really don't need to salt the cooking water for noodles or would you need to salt the water for rice.

Yes, this makes sense to me - thanks very much!