Crock pot chicken sauce clumping and sticking?

I was making a recipe that my friend gave me. You have to add flour to the sauce, but whenever you cook it, it gets these nasty clumps and sticks to the sides in a gooey sheet. How do i stop this? I dont want to start over

Liza's Kitchen NYC
Liza's Kitchen NYC August 7, 2014

Hi Ashley,
It's hard to know without seeing the recipe or being in the kitchen with you, but sometimes when you add flour to liquid and the liquid is too hot or you don't stir fast enough with a whisk it clumps and cooks into little doughy balls. I'm not sure if you can save your sauce, but you might be able to put it through a strainer to get all the clumps out. Once the flour has turned to dough/gooey clumps it's pretty impossible to unclump. Hope this helps.

mickle
mickle August 7, 2014

Remove the old flour clumps and pieces; then add the required amt of flour to a little cold water and gradually stir into the pot.

mickle
mickle August 7, 2014

Make sure to whisk the flour well in the cold water before adding to the hot sauce in the pot; since there may be some residue flour still in the sauce, you may want to add the cold water/flour mixture gradually as to not over-thicken the sauce

Susan W August 7, 2014

That I can think of, I don't think I have seen a slow cooker recipe with a flour based sauce. The only way I have done that is to transfer the sauce to another pan that has a butter/flour roux after the dish is complete.

boulangere August 7, 2014

It's called a "top roux," and done right, it can be remarkably effective at both thickening and avoiding addition fat, as in a convention roux. Ladle about 8 ounces of liquid from your slow cooker or soup pot (it works with both) into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle your flour over the top, then whisk it in. The mixture will thicken noticeably. Next, whisk the mixture into your slow cooker. The sauce needs to come back to a boil for a few minutes in order to cook the flour adequately and disperse its "floury" taste.

Whisking the flour into a small amount of your liquid avoids the problem of creating large clumps in the entire batch. Good trick to have up your sleeve.