Need help to not have pasta stick clump together once put in colander. I made homemade pasta (herb pappardelle) but clumped together when dra

The pappardelle was cut from homemade sheets that were run thru pasta machine (thin enough could see hand through). Also made a fresh ricotta herb sauce to go with it. Brought salted water to boil in large pot. Stirred pasta rapidly first two min, brought to boil again, then stirred the 1 min it took to cook the fresh pasta. Pasta cooked fine but when I took out with pasta tongs and put to drain in colander they clumped together before I could put in bowl with sauce. Any suggestions to avoid sticking together (besides adding olive oil to pot which makes sauce not stick to pasta as well)

asked by therightingredient almost 4 years ago

Christine

Perhaps pull the pasta a little earlier and finish cooking it in the sauce?

Christine

Chef Lisa

You could give it a quick dunk into boiling water just long enough to loosen it.

I agree - directly into the sauce when you lift it from the water. Don't give it a second to even think about clumping! If a little cooking water remains and you simmer it in the sauce a minute, that's not a bad thing - the residual starch will help thicken it and add body.