Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

I'd like to use oversized, thick-glassed shot glasses in lieu of ramekins for individual sized chocolate pots de creme. The box the shot glasses came in only says dishwasher safe, so I don't specifically know about oven safety. If they're in a bain-marie, will the glass be okay in the 300-degree oven?

asked by QueenOfGreen almost 6 years ago
E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I would test one first before sacrificing them all - do you have enough to spare one in case of disaster?

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

What a cool idea! My brother used to run a restaurant in which they served all desserts in shot glasses. I agree with aargersi--make a small basic egg custard and test it first with one glass.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

If the pots de creme won't work you could do an uncooked dessert in them. I'd think about panna cotta or something called chocolate negrita which my husband made for me once, from a book called 50 Ways to Feed Your Lover. It's really, really rich and yummy so a shot glass would be perfect. The serving size suggested in the recipe is too large, the negrita is so rich its hard to eat a whole serving.

Chocolate Negrita
(chef Sam Arnold)

¾ pound Ghiradelli semisweet dark chocolate, cut into chunks
3 large eggs, pasteurized
Salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp Meyer's dark rum
Whipped Cream for topping

1.Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. When the chocolate is half melted, turn off the heat and let the chocolate continue to melt and keep warm.
2.Separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites with a pink of salt until stiff.
3.In another mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks until they are pale yellow and a ribbon forms when the beaters are lifted. In a slow stream, with the beaters running, add the warm chocolate, mixing thoroughly. Beat in the vanilla and rum. Fold the beaten egg whites into the yolk mixture until thoroughly blended.
4.Ladle the Negrita into 4 large wineglasses or pretty goblets. Refrigerate until serving time.
5.To serve, pipe a rosette of vanilla-flavored whipped cream on top of each Negrita and set the glasses on a doily-lined plate.

73cd846c b69c 41fe 8f8b 7a3aa8dd3b93  desert

If you can't use the shot glasses in the oven make your pots de creme in ramikins and when done tip them onto a plate and use the shot glasses like a bisciut cutter to fill the glass and tip them right side up. That way thier served but not cooked in the shot glasses.

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Shots de creme. . .if this works, you are so going to publish it, aren't you?