Pots de Creme

Anyone ever tried the stovetop method for Pots de Creme? Typically, the cooking is done by baking in a waterbath but it seems like you might have more control and a better texture by cooking on the stovetop. Thoughts?

asked by Tony S about 7 years ago

I don't think so. You'll have no top heat, and even with the heat turned down low, the water will likely heat too much and too fast, and you bottom heat will be too hot.

I don't see how that would be an improvement. If you use a water bath on top the stove, I'd think the pots would overcook on the bottoms and undercook on the tops.

The CI people found the stove top method to be their favorite for chocolate pots de crème. They essential made a crème anglais, then poured it over chopped chocolate, stirred and poured the mixture into individual ramekins. Cooled to room temp, then covered and chilled. http://www.cooksillustrated...

sorry - your

MHardison79

heres a recipe like what hardlikearmour is pointing out. Rachael rays take on pots de creme, Ive made this countless times, havent had any complaints. http://www.rachaelrayshow...

ColoradoCook

I've made these every year for Thanksgiving using the stovetop method, and they always turn out beautifully. I don't think I'll ever make a regular pie again! http://www.nytimes.com...

hardlikearmour: that's really interesting. As far as I know, pots de creme is a baked custard. There are lots of luscious custards that are made with creme patissiere or anglaise on top the stove, but they are different from a baked custard.

Interesting that CI would call a stovetop custard Pots de Creme.

I agree, ChefJune, I found it interesting. Very non-traditional, but I guess CI liked the outcome and ease.