How far ahead can tiramisu- made with eggs, be made in advance?

• Posted by: JessieLK
  • December 22, 2010

drbabs December 22, 2010

I'd say you could make it about 24 hours ahead, but cover it tightly in the refrigerator so it doesn't pick up other odors.

hardlikearmour December 22, 2010

You should definitely make it ahead at least 6 or 8 hours, I generally make it the night before. Keep it refrigerated. If you are concerned about the raw egg aspect you can modify the recipe to cook the yolks: add 1/3 cup heavy cream to the yolk mixture, heat in a bowl over barely simmering water, cook scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula until the mixture hits 160 degrees F. Remove bowl from heat and stir vigorously to help cool the mixture, then set aside and allow to come to room temperature before proceeding with the recipe.

JessieLK
JessieLK December 22, 2010

just what i wanted to hear, thanks!

amysarah December 23, 2010

Just one point to add - it's actually best made ahead, as the flavors/textures need time to meld together and develop. It's my son's 'birthday cake' every year (odd, I know...and not even a cake, but his favorite ever since a trip to Italy as a teenager) - and I always make it the day before so it reaches full Tiramisu-ness by the time we eat it.