🔕 🔔

What are your thoughts on tiramisu? I haven't made it in about 15 years and it seems so outdated, yet it tastes really good.

asked by lcast about 5 years ago

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

I personally believe that a good, properly made tiramisu is never out of fashion. I think what's outdated is the 90s-style presentation -- a perfectly square slice, showered with cocoa powder and topped with curls of chocolate, with a smear of some kind of sauce on the plate. We scoop it out of the dish in messy dollops -- which I much prefer.

That is a really great point. I'm sold. Thanks!

Like cheesecake, I've discovered that tiramisu is everyone's secret favourite (almost guilty pleasure). However, like you, I haven't made one for years. The best one in my repertoire is from the Il Fornaio Baking book - fairly time-consuming, but worth it and I still get requests.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

In Joaane Chang's wonderful cookbook Flour, she has a recipe she calls The New Tiramisu, a coffee sponge cake served with mascarpone mousse. I haven't made it, but it sounds amazing. I've made the tiramisu from Cooks Illustrated for several years, and it's always one of my most requested desserts. Like Merrill, I serve it in scoops. Mostly because I can't be bothered cutting desserts into perfect squares, but that's just me.

I love to make individual size ones in stemmed water glasses or small mason jars depending on the formality of your party.

Fc6a53ec b276 48a4 be9b bc69e85a9c0f  dsc00731

I've made Nigella Lawson's version in her book, Nigella Christmas, which uses chocolate cake instead of savoiardi. The amped up chocolate flavour makes it really good - well, the combination of chocolate and coffee is one of my favourites!

Ea2fede5 db69 4f9c b6a5 c70c27497ae9  dsc 0002 2

Thing everyone else adores that you find totally vile: Tiramisu.
Anything remotely 'wet bread' makes me queasy.

That said, who cares what is fashionable? It is what *you* like that counts. I remember being laughed out of the kitchen by a couple of chefs when I was a teenager, throwing my first dinner party, because I told them I was making spanikopita (apparently that was HILARIOUS!). Whatever. I adore spanikopita, and 20 years later, I make the meanest spinach pie you will ever taste, AND I can whip it up in a flash. I'm just going to keep turning it out until it comes back in style; it is always pulls down raves from my guests.

Rock your faves – Mud in the eye for the haters.

I agree with threefresheggs. The concept of what is fashionable in food is simply snob appeal. Take some courage , develop your own style and start a trend!

I'll venture to say that I do think it's slightly out of vogue at the moment; it was also never one of my favorites. But, if it's one of yours, you should be all means make it.
Ina Garten has this interesting variation, which I would like to make at some point: original:http://www.foodnetwork...