Soggy puff pastry

I made Suzanne Goin's "tomato tart with capers, anchovies and carmelized onions" this weekend. I followed the recipe closely, thawed the puff pastry for 40 minutes and cooled the onions before topping the pastry. Once baked, the topping was delicious and the edge of the pastry with the egg wash was crisp and appealing but the middle was dense and soggy, like uncooked dough. Does anyone have tips on working with puff pastry? Anyone else had experience with this recipe and figured out how to alter it so that the whole thing works?

asked by Icastnorth almost 4 years ago

Liza's Kitchen NYC

Did you remember to pre-bake the pastry? Maybe that part was missing from the recipe you looked at? It seems like by doing this you wouldn't end up with a soggy mess. I found the recipe here: http://scarpettadolcetto... (hope this is the one you were referring to).

Icastnorth

Many thanks for the research. This IS the recipe Goin wrote, and the writer of this one, who credits Goin and slightly adapts the recipe, handily does prebake the crust, which Goin unfortunately failed to do or write that she did!