Puff pastry. To thaw or not to thaw. That is one of the questions.

I am making a recipe that calls for frozen puff pastry. The directions say to cut the frozen pastry and then put the toppings on it. I have only seen recipes which tell you to defrost the pastry in the refrigerator overnight. Has anyone ever used puff pastry frozen? I was going with the recipe, and now I am second guessing myself. I know that I cannot assemble the tart now and then wait to bake it when our guests are here, because the pastry will lose its flakiness. I am hoping that I can bake it now, and then reheat it later. I realize that I needed to think about this much earlier. Our guests are arriving in 1 hour and 45 minutes. What was I thinking? Much thanks!

asked by bella s.f. about 7 years ago

ATG117

I don't think you should be using it frozen. I would defrost it. As far as making it in advance, not ideal as you mentioned. But if you must, perhaps you can underbake it just slightly and then I would place it on a baking rack in a warming drawer or in the oven set very low, just so it stays warm and crisp, not soggy.

Nozlee Samadzadeh

bella s.f., what did you end up doing with your frozen puff pastry?