🔕 🔔

How long will pesto keep in the fridge?

Homemade. Basil, garlic, mint, oil,s&p, lemon juice. How long will it stay in a jar in my fridge?

asked by CanadaDan about 3 years ago

7be9269b 4bd3 4776 a58a 1796fcfd4f04  2016 03 22 12 44 46

if the jar was clean and the pesto covered with a thin layer of oil, it should easily keep in the fridge for many weeks.
but to be safe, always check before you use it: did the colour change significantly, does smell rancid or sour, is there any mold? if none of that is the case, try a little bit to see if it still tastes good. luckily, our senses are pretty good at detecting if food is bad for us!

layer of oil on top eh? Can I do that now, about 18 hours later? Jar was clean so I'm not too worried about spoilage but I thought I'd check

Daniel, it's fine to add the thin layer of oil now. Pesto freezes beautifully. If you freeze it flat in a zip lock bag, you can break off pieces when you need them.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I freeze without the cheese. Thaw and add fresh cheese when you serve. I have no problems with that method after a year in the freezer (no air in the freezer bag).