My jar of fresh strawberries (mixed with sugar & left at room temperature for a week) has naturally fermented itself. Is it safe to eat/cook with?

I jarred strawberries that were soaked in water for a few minutes with sugar and lemon zest, left the jars out at room temperature for a little over a week, and have just opened a jar to find them naturally fermented. The juice is carbonated and slightly sour...I didn't add any starter culture, but the jars were previously used to hold pickles..

asked by Phoebe Tran over 4 years ago

From what I've read, the fermented fruit is safe to eat and cook with. All you need is fruit and water. Sugar helps to accelerate the fermentation process. Carbonation and alcohol are the by-products of the natural fermentation process. I would strain out the solids and put the syrup into sterilized container and keep in the fridge.