cast iron pan issues

I had to clean my cast iron pan with soap and water bc I had use it for fresh corn polenta and the starch was too caked on. I left it to dry and now it looks all rusted. What happens and is this reversible?

asked by ATG117 about 4 years ago

nutcakes

In future, try to dry it on a flame for a few minutes. Sounds like you will have to scrub the rust out and reseason it. There are instructions all over the internet. Hopefully you can hand scrub it out, try salt and oil.

Ohhh...soap? Use a soak and lots of salt for a scrub---that should get off the rust.

If it's really damaged after the salt scrub and spa treatment in a warm water bath.
take it to a autobody shop and have them do a chemical 'sandblast' on it. That'll bring it bake to new base level and you're back to square one for seasoning.

/come to think of it...I think my mother in law had the same thing done to her face.

barb48

I don't own a cast iron skillet, but wld. love to buy one. I saw one in a resale shop, but the outside was all bubbly, like I could peel off the coating. Could anything be done to salvage a pan like that and make it safe to cook with?

Barb, I have never seen that and I have seen some cast iron in bad shape. Hopefully, someone will be familiar with it. It almost sounds like someone painted it.

barb48

@susan w. I also found a long griddle pan in the back of my apt. building. When I turned it over, the bottom was totally black and very blistered. I was going to peel it all off, as it was practically falling off anyway, but I did't and left the pan.

Barb, is it possible those weren't cast iron? I just cant imagine cast iron peeling. I am very curious now and wish I could see them. :)

Diana B
Diana B

Diana B is a trusted home cook.

Food52's Amanda will teach you right here how to clean and re-season your cast iron pan: https://food52.com/blog...

slberger

Just wipe it out with warm water and re-season it with oil - the rust won't hurt anything and will go away easily as soon as it is seasoned again.