🔕 🔔

Does anyone have tips on making fresh corn polenta?

asked by Alexandra Stafford about 7 years ago

Oven-Baked Polenta - Paula Wolfert's

Ingredients:
2 cups medium-coarse or coarse-grind cornmeal
8 to 10 cups cool water or stock
2 tablespoons butter or flavorful olive oil
2 teaspoons salt

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 12-inch cazuela, skillet or ovenproof casserole.

Add cornmeal, liquid, butter or oil and salt. Stir with a fork until blended - the mixture will separate but no need to worry.

Bake uncovered for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

2) Stir polenta with a long-handled fork. Adjust seasoning to taste.

If adding herbs or cheese this is the time to do it.

Bake for 10 minutes longer.

Remove from oven; let rest for 5 minutes.

If serving soft polenta, pour into a serving bowl. If serving medium polenta, pack it into a rectangular or square pan to facilitate cutting serving size portions.

Yield: 6 servings.

Note: Soft polenta will require a ratio of 5 parts liquid to 1 part cornmeal. A medium polenta will require a ratio of 4 parts liquid to 1 part cornmeal. I prefer to use chicken or vegetable stock when making polenta and I also add herbs or cheese the last 10 minutes

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

If I have leftovers, I'll grate the cooked corn kernels from the cob with a box grater and add the kernels with their juice to a batch of polenta made with cornmeal. All the recipes I've seen for fresh corn polenta are just thickened creamed corn. I tried this one a couple years ago, but didn't like it.

http://www.marthastewart...

I prefer a long wooden spoon for this, stir constantly only pausing for a short rest, Polenta is usually done when it is so thick you can see the bottom of the pan as you stir it. Baking it will help firm it up and finish it off. It is necessary to get it quite firm if you want to flip it out onto a platter. Using a large wood plank or cutting board adds a rustic touch. Leftover polenta can be formed into balls and stuffed with meat and cheese you can fry them in butter or warm them in the oven.