Home-made Japanese spice blend?

On a flight home I was watching (what else) some interesting cooking shows that I hadn't seen before. One was about Asian noodle restaurants, and some dishes looked fabulous. There was an intriguing Japanese spice blend mentioned with grated orange peel and hot pepper (?) and other things. I would like to recreate a reasonable facsimile. Can anyone help with a basic list of ingredients?

asked about 4 years ago

Liza's Kitchen NYC

Perhaps it was Shichimi (Japanese Seven Spice)?

2 tablespoons sansho (or 1 tablespoon black peppercorns)
1 tablespoon dried tangerine peel
1 tablespoon ground red chile pepper
2 teaspoons flaked nori
2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
2 teaspoons white poppy seeds or black cannabis seeds
2 teaspoons minced garlic

I'm puzzled by the garlic as it's normally a dried blend.
Also, if you don't have sansho. Use szechuan pepercorns, it's more of a numbing spice and closer to sansho

Yep..you have to use dehydrated garlic. I grate mine and dry it and whatever citrus peel on my dehydrator. I use szechuan peppercorns.

bigpan

In Mexico they have a blend of dried lime and chili. It is called Tajin.

Creamtea, was it Furikake? That is the other one that is used often. They call it the salt and pepper of Japan. There are many variations. You can google it and see which recipe sounds best to you. I love it on everything from rice, to eggs to fish.

Thanks everyone, it may have been Schichimi. The moment passed so quickly (and there's always a little white noise during flight) so I couldn't capture the name of the blend at the moment it was broadcast.