What can I substitute for bread crumbs in meat loaf??

I want to make meat loaf but I don't have any bread crumbs and I'm not sure what I could substitute for the bread crumbs.

asked by HarleyQuinn33 about 4 years ago

You can make bread crumbs if you have any bread. Place slices in an 250 degree oven to dry it out and then food process. Or you can use matza meal, panko or even flour as a binder

Uncle Charley

asdf asdf asdf

Uncle Charley

g

Emily

Use oatmeal - regular, classic Quaker is what I've always used. Add 3/4c oatmeal to 1-1 1/2 lbs ground meat.

Also..lots of recipes call for milk soaked bread.

If you have crackers, blitz them in the in food processor.

savorthis

Yes! My favorite meatloaf is from Cooks Illustrated (doesn't hurt to be slathered in ketchup sauce and wrapped in bacon) and they use saltines.

cooked rice or orzo (tiny pasta that looks like rice).

davidpdx

Unsweetened cereal: corn flakes, wheat flakes.

If you are trying to avoid wheat and other grains, paleo types use ground almonds.

mainesoul

I always use oatmeal in meatloaf. It is much healthier than most fillers and gives the meatloaf a nice texture.

Julia Childs recipe, which I adore, calls for cooked rice rather than breadcrumbs.

Sarah Smith

I've seen a lot of recipes with oatmeal. But I wonder if quinoa would work too?

I prefer milk soaked bread in meat loaf to any alternative filler. That's probably because my mom's excellent meat loaves were always made that way. (Just as I also prefer it to have a tomato flavor rather than a "mushroom soup" flavor.) My Jewish grandma always used matzo meal for everything.

gratifi kitchen + bar

Oats! We grind them up first and use in all of our recipes instead of bread crumbs. Added bonus - gluten free.

AKOS

Cooked quinoa works really well, but add extra liquid (ketchup/sauce et al.) or use a higher fat meat as the quinoa can soak up a lot of the juiciness.

Patti in Mississippi

Always use oats in it. Glaze with balsamic vinegar too!

Michele

Panko has worked for me in desperation.

Craig Riibe

I'm add rice an stuffing to my meatloaf.

I made meatloaf earlier this week using two slices of sour dough bread ripped into pieces. It was delicious!