What 3 meats and in what ratio did grandma use in her meat loaf?

I usually just use beef, but hers was so much better, and also much firmer. The only place I have tasted similar meat loaf was when visiting Germany. I know she used 3 meats of some kind, but not sure what or how she got it so solid, and tasty.

asked by jimcrowl about 2 years ago

Practically everyone uses beef and pork, a lot of people add lamb or veal- if it was lamb you could probably tell; it's very assertive.

KAthleen

1 lb. ground chuck, 1 lb. ground pork, 1/2 lb. breakfast sausage (fresh not packaged), and don't forget the egg it helps to bind it all together.

I'm with Jr0717. Beef and pork in equal amounts and veal in a lesser amount. I've sometimes skipped the veal, but I really do notice a difference.

The classic ratio from Emilia-Romagna would be equal parts beef, veal and pork with ground mortadella as well.

Of course, we didn't know your grandma. It COULD have been horsemeat, possum and long pig, or mixed critters du jour, or just about anything. More probably, some people do, I believe, add some chicken or, nowadays, turkey. And the proportions may have depended as much on what was in the refrigerator as on a specific scheme.