I have an overabundance of ripe/almost over-ripe fruit (pears, peaches, strawberries, and oranges) - any creative, easy ideas to use it all up?

I don't want to wind up throwing it away, but in a two-person household, it can only be eaten so quickly! I greatly appreciate any ideas or tips. Thanks in advance!

asked by Jr0717 almost 4 years ago

Erin Aguayo

strawberry ice--dice strawberries and divide among the sections of an ice cube tray, top with water and swirl a bit with toothpick or fork. freeze. amazing topped with limeade, or, my favorite, lime juice, simple syrup, and tequila. pears that have gone grainy aren't so good, but you could make a frozen yogurt with the peaches or oranges.

London_Eats

Pears, peaches - if flavour is good, cut into slices, cover with booze (e.g. vokda for pears, bourbon for peaches) and some sugar. Leave to sit in a large jar for a new months and you'll have a delicious liqueur. A sliver of orange peel will help the flavour.

Pears - peel and core, then cook up with sugar and pectin to make "perada", a thick paste to eat with cheese, similar to quince membrillo. Keeps for ages.

Oranges - make marmalade

Strawberries - make jam, sorbet, ice-cream or frozen yoghurt. if you don't want to make "proper" jam, then freezer jam is a great and delicious alternative (uses less sugar, more like a thick puree, but very fruity-tasting).

Judy

The book "saving the season" by Kevin West is a great resource for using fruit at different stages of ripeness. It sounds like peach chutney might be a good choice for you.

Jr0717

Wow! Thank you all very much for the fantastic ideas, everyone! I wound up making a bunch of different jams and added them as flavoring to some teas and lemonades, and turned some more of the fruit into 'end-of-summer' popsicles.

Thank you all again!