A question about a recipe: Teddie's Apple Cake

5bc19458 f429 4e46 ab9e 62ed5ece110a  8191032619 2a7acaf614 z

I have a question about the recipe "Teddie's Apple Cake" from Genius Recipes. Has anyone substituted applesauce for all of the oil? If so, how did the cake come out?

asked by Cathy about 4 years ago

ATG117

I have a feeling you could probably get away with an apple sauce substitution in this recipe. I haven't tried it, but think it's worth a shot in this instance.

Cathy

Thanks! I'm going to give it a try.

I find prune puree (aka Lekvar) works better than appplesauce as a substitute for oil in baking. (in this recipe, it will also give you another layer of flavor). Use 3/4 vol of prune puree for specified quantity of oil.

Cathy

I am trying to find small ways to cut down on the caloric content as well as the amount of sugar so that is why I would prefer to go with the applesauce. Thank you for your reply.

ATG117

I think applesauce would be better in this case anyway. Prune butter has a different taste. I've heard it does well in chocolate cakes but have not tried it.

Cathy

It is in the oven now, so I will let you know later whether it was a success or epic failure. :-) I used all applesauce in place of the oil, only one cup of sugar, pecans and no raisins. Thanks everyone for your input!

Cathy

Success! And it only took 50 minutes to bake. It's moist and plenty sweet too with only the one cup of sugar.

Hooray! So glad to hear it, Cathy. I'm constantly making similar tweaks, especially reducing sugar, because so many dessert recipes seem just too darned sweet. I really appreciate this! ;o)

ATG117

I haven't done many an apple sauce substitution, but on the one or two occasions when I have in the past, I found that it generally worked well with fruit or vegetable based cakes like apple cake, banana bread, zuchinni bread, and carrot muffins.