What can you do with osso bucco?

Thinking of ideas for dinner tomorrow...

asked by ramosjat almost 4 years ago

paseo

Cook it and eat it?

Osso bucco over rice is heaven on earth.

lem monade

In case you mean the cut (i.e. thick slices from a veal leg/shank) and wonder about how to prepare them, a classic osso buco alla Milanese dish goes something like this:

Lightly flour the meat and brown in olive oil & butter, take out the pan.
Make a soffritto in the same pan: gently fry finely diced carrots, celery, onion just until they get a bit colour.
Add the meat again and deglaze the pan with some white wine; then add either stock (chicken or veal) or tomato sauce, and let it all simmer very slowly until the meat is completely tender. Sometimes spices like a bit of cinnamon and/or bay leaves are added.
Traditionally, osso buco is served over risotto (alla milanese, i.e. with saffron) and, most importantly, with gremolata on top: a mixture of finely chopped parsley, lemon zest, and a bit of garlic.

blanka.n

Your recipe is fine but the dish really needs white wine along with the stock.

lem monade

blanka.n, I absolutely agree! Sorry, that I haven't been more precise: deglazing might indicate to use less than one should…

Lem, this is probably one of my favorite meals ever. It was the first braise that I learned to cook as a twenty-something. I think it was from one of Julia Childs first cookbooks. I think the wine used to deglaze is perfect.

lem monade

Susan, isn't it just wonderful? Such a great dish to know how to prepare well … (by the way: if on a budget or wanting a somewhat lighter version, it also turns out pretty delicious with turkey leg slices).

The best!! I also vaguely remember making it once with tomatoes after making a very reduced veal stock and lovely marinara sauce. I'll have to see if I can find it. I remember the tomatoes being just barely there. Almost more of a condiment so the veal shines through.

bigpan

follow lem monades advice, but I would make it in the morning, then let it cool and let the flavors get friendly with each other, then re-heat for service.

Only one "c" in osso buco... you can braise it! and serve it with Risotto Milanese. Delicious! Technically, Osso Buco is braised veal shanks, but these days folks are braising all sorts of shanks and calling them Osso Buco. Lamb shanks and pork shanks are also wonderful. Be sure to let us know what you did to them!