Boyfriend's parents are coming over and I have no idea what to make!

My boyfriend's parents are coming over (for the first time) for dinner tomorrow night. What can I make that's quick and delicious or can be prepared tonight and reheated tomorrow night? Also, no pork please! Thank you!

asked by GourMel over 3 years ago

penelope

The first, best option is always to make something you already feel comfortable making.

In your case I'd go for something like fish en papillote, if fish is a viable option. It's easy, makes a nice presentation, and hangs out in the oven while you and the guests enjoy an appetizer and glass of wine. You can prepare the parchment packets the night before and just pop them in the oven 30 minutes (or less, depending on thickness) before dinner. I'd serve with a winter citrus salad, which can also be made the night before, and a loaf of crusty French bread from your local bakery. Fruit sorbet (store bought) and shortbread (make the night before) for dessert. Good luck!

ktr
ktr

I agree with making something easy and preferably something you've made before. I'd also suggest asking your boyfriend what types of foods they prefer - for example, no matter how good what I make is, my father and father-in-law won't like it if it's not a basic "meat and potatoes" meal.

GourMel

His mom's specialties and a lamb and rice stew and roast salmon and I know she's not a fan of shrimp, which is all fine because I was thinking going vegetarian might be easiest. Maybe Smitten Kitchen's Mushroom Marsala Pasta Bake and an arugula or kale salad?

ktr
ktr

That sounds like a delicious meal to me!

GourMel

Thank you!

Nancy Daley

I have made that mushroom marsala pasta, and it is divine. Go for it.

40 cloves of chicken - try Nigella's recipe.

Don't you mean 40 cloves of garlic?

yes. 40 cloves of chicken.

one more time, lol. 40 cloves of garlic chicken. Love Nigella's version because I use a combo of skin on chicken breast & thighs and its delicious!

I agree with everything Nancy said. This is my go-to, last-minute company dish when I want to impress someone. It never fails. https://food52.com/recipes...

GourMel

This looks great! I agree with the above suggestions about making something I've done before, but will definitely give this a try so it's ready for next time. Thank you!

Stephanie

I think simple is great. However, one sure-fire way to impress is to have a few small bites ahead of the meal. A little dish of olives and Merrill's Crostini with Ricotta, Honey, and Lemon zest https://food52.com/recipes... would be my suggestion.

GourMel

Funny you mention it, I just found that recipe this morning and was planning on make it as well as crostini with David Leibovitz's artichoke tapenade. I think dinner will be Smitten Kitchen's Mushroom Marsala Pasta Bake and Raw Kale Salad with Lentils and Sweet Apricot Vinaigrette https://food52.com/recipes.... For dessert, Ricotta and cherry jam crostata https://food52.com/recipes.... Thanks for all of the responses!

Stephanie

Yum! What time is dinner? ;-)

GourMel

Ha! Come straight from work with wine ;)

cookinginvictoria

That kale salad is delicious -- one of my family's staples! Sounds like a lovely menu. Good luck . . . hope that the meal goes really well and that everyone enjoys themselves! :)

Healthline

Brazil Nut-Crusted Tilapia with Sautéed Kale is a showstopper and only looks like you spent hours in the kitchen: http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/brazil-nut-crusted-tilapia-saut-ed-kale
It would be great along with Lemon-Roasted Asparagus: http://www.healthline.com/health-recipes/lemon-roasted-asparagus

bamcnamara

Yes---keep it simple and make def don't make anything that would compete with anything she's makes.....I must say hands down the best thing I've ever made to please everyone is http://allrecipes.com/Recipe... It's not fancy but its delicious and unassuming. Good luck!!!!!

Kenzi Wilbur

Make this curried lentil soup! Can be done ahead of time, improves with age, and is impressive: https://food52.com/blog...

leigh frat

Marcella Hazan's bolognese sauce just leave out ground pork. Merrill's baked pasta with chicken sausage food52.com/recipes/31686-baked-pasta-with-chicken-sausage. Also, this use to be on food52, but I can't find it. therunawayspoon.com/blog/2010/01/pastitsio-greek-lamb-casserole/ Delicious. I add roasted eggplant to it and if you don't like lamb substitute beef. Very filling and a lot can be made ahead.

Fat Tony

Okay Gourmel, spill
What did you end up making? How did it turn out?

GourMel

Haha I made the menu described to Stephanie above. Everything turned out pretty well (I overcooked the pasta...Fail!) but his dad couldn't stop eating the ricotta crostini. No one left hungry :)

MMH
MMH

I'd love to know what you ended up serving. My go-to is roast chicken ala Ina. My Jeffrey says it's the simplest & most elegant & most delicious dish dish I prepare. I always have one waiting when he's been traveling.