🔕 🔔

Will toothpicks catch on fire on the grill?

I've butterflied a flank steak and am filling with prosciutto, thin layer of pesto and fontina. I want to secure it with toothpicks to prevent filling from falling out when flipping. Do I need to soak toothpicks before using them? Thanks!

asked by KBDalen almost 3 years ago

Yum! Yes, soak toothpicks (or wooden skewers) in water before using them with heat. Since the steak is butterflied and therefore thin, it won't be on the grill too long. It would be good for someone to keep an eye on the grill. Pretty much the same as metal skewers, in a pinch, you could use stainless steel nails. I would just soak them in boiling water for a minute or so to sterilize them.