A question about a recipe: Betty Wason's Basic Pot Roast

E502ee65 82ae 49e8 95c8 225cc970a39a  food52 05 07 13 1075

I have a question about the recipe "Betty Wason's Basic Pot Roast" from Genius Recipes. I would like to make this gluten free, is there a good substitute for the flour used in this recipe

asked by Catherine Jacobs about 4 years ago

In other recipes like this, I've seen people use potato starch or rice flour, but haven't tried it here. You could also just omit the flour and it would still be delicious -- it just wouldn't have quite as much of a crust.

Catherine Jacobs

Thanks!

plainhomecook

I bet arrowroot would work well.

Catherine Jacobs

Thanks you!

Interesting recipe. I've never used flour in a pot roast recipe, so I'd think you could just omit it. OTOH, the crust sounds particularly appealing. I think I will try it with potato starch. That's usually my go-to sub.

Catherine Jacobs

Thanks!