When I make chicken and vegetable pot pies they sometimes come out tasting like vinnegar. I have tried everything but this still happens

Please help! The pot pies are usually to die for but this vinegar thing is killing my rep!

asked by simone about 4 years ago

Post the recipe you're using for troubleshooting.

simone

Well it's just a basic recipe. I roast the chickens myself, then I boil the bones to make stock which I then thicken with some cornstarch. I also use the pieces the chicken left in the stock to add to the pies. I then add some carrots, potatoes, peas and onions. I sppon some of the thickened stock at the bottom of the pies, then pile on the pot pie mix and pour a little more stock on top for moisture. That's it! Could it be that I am leaving the pies out too long? If that's the case then why wouldn't all the pies taste like vinnegar? It's only the odd one or two out of a batch of 30.

Good suggestion, I would of never thought that chicken pot pie or just trying to make the dish could sour in a million years. I make it a lot in the fall/winter, its my husbands favorite dish. My first home cook thought was that maybe the vessel or dish itself was compromised. There's nothing acidic to make it taste that way; I would have never thought of the stock/broth itself. Simone - I hope, you try again to maintain your rep!