🔕 🔔

Do jalapenos effect yeast?

I have been making bagels with jalapenos. They do not always turn out as fluffy as other bagels. I have modified the water slightly to account for the extra water in the jalapenos. Could it be that the jalapenos are killing/deactivating the yeast? I was trying to look up capsaicin's effect on yeast, but the answers do not pertain to bread.

asked by MJR about 3 years ago

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

At very high concentrations, capsaicin can hinder baker's yeast growth, but I'm sure your bagels don't approach those. I think reducing the water in the dough might be why your bagels' texture is different. The jalapeños won't release most of their water into the dough, and what they do release will probably be very localized to immediately around the jalapeño piece while it cooks, so I would use the same amount of water in the dough as usual.
Also, depending on the texture of the dough and how it's handled, sometimes chunks of things mixed into the dough will mechanically reduce the rise by disrupting the structure of the rising dough.

I have never thought fluffiness was a good quality in a bagel--they should be chewy with an even chewier crust.