Costco cheeses: what you like, what you don't?

Costco doesn't have a lot of cheese choices. But prices are very reasonable. Some are very good, like Stilton and Parmigiano Reggiano. Heard it carries a kind of Gorgonzola, but haven't seen one in my local stores.

Wonder what you feel. What are available in your local stores? Any one good, and any one junk (even if cheap)?

asked by George H almost 4 years ago

Chef Lisa

They carry three kinds of Tillamook cheddar. While you can find these same cheeses in most local grocery stores, Costco's is a fraction of the cost. Same is true with Baby Bell & Laughing cow.

George H

Those are delights aren't they?

cookbookchick

I like the feta that they carry.

George H

Indeed. It's very good.

I'm lucky that in my local Costcos (in the SanFran Bay Area) the cheese selection is surprisingly good. Year round they carry cheeses like manchego, Comte, Brie de Meaux, Great Lakes (?) cheddar, chevre, 18 month Parm Reg, a local blue from Point Reyes, Valbreso feta, pecorino romano, mozzarella di buffalo, and more that I can't recall at the moment. Depending on the store, there are Maytag blue, St. Andre, and mimolette. During the Thanksgiving/Christmas season, there are more imports like Delice de Bourgogne and even Epoisses. The cheese aisle is my first stop on any trip to Costco. I would buy all if I could, but these can be huge hunks of cheese and there's only 2 of us at home.

My mom buys her Gouda at Costco. It's really good.

Marian Bull

Their Feta cheese is great, and a very good price. It is a big block, and will freeze some of it if needed. I like the fresh Mozzarella, double pack pre sliced is best price and very good. the single ball is great. Also like Irish Dubliner (cheddar)milk from grass fed cows. YUMMM

Andrea Young

I get the Parmigiano Reggiano there for much less per pound than I pay anywhere else. I pay about $17/$18 for the large hunk, but it lasts a good long while.

I love the Manchego they carry. They also carry the Laura Chenel goat cheese in a big ole log.

I routinely buy their goat cheese because I use a lot of it. Their pecorino romano is also pretty good for the price.